Rev. Raymond Corriveau C.Ss.R. passed away at noon on November 12, 2010.
May Corry’s prayers now support us as we continue in the vision he so faithfully lived.
Born in 1936 and grew up near Zurich, Ontario, he attended local schools until18 years old when he entered the juvenate St. Mary’s College in Brockville, ON. He was in the graduating class of 1955.
Entering the novitiate at L’Abord-a-Plouffe, Quebec under Novice Master Cornelius McElligott, he made first profession on September 15, 1956. His seminary studies were at St. Alphonsus Seminary in Woodstock (1956-1957) and the newly-opened Holy Redeemer College, Windsor, Ontario (1957-1963). He was ordained on June 17, 1962 at Holy Redeemer College by Auxiliary Bishop Emmett Carter of the London Diocese.
Academic studies followed with a bachelor of arts degree from the University of Windsor (1963), STL/ MA at St. Paul’s University, Ottawa (1963-1964); S.T.D./ Moral Theology Accademia Alfonsiana, Rome (1964-1967). He taught moral theology at Scholasticat in Alymer, Quebec (1967-1968).
In September 1968, Fr. Corriveau was one of three young Redemptorists, who initiated the Lakeshore Experimental Project in the Montreal suburb of Pointe Claire. It was a pastoral ministry to discover the first-hand problems facing Catholics in five English-speaking parishes of the Montreal suburbs between Dorval and Senneville.
At the age of 36, he was appointed as Novice Master (1972-1980) at Gerard House, first located in the Toronto’s east end on Coxwell Avenue (1972-1974) and on Howland Avenue, close to the University of Toronto. Two of his novices were Superior General Michael Brehl and Archbishop Gerard Pettipas of Grouard-McLennan. During this time, he was also a professor of Christian Ethics, St. Augustine’s Seminary, Toronto School of Theology (1972-1980). In 1980, he traveled to Dundalk, Ireland to make arrangements for Toronto Province novices to study there.
Parish appointments followed as pastor at St. Alphonsus, Peterborough, Ontario (1981-1984); pastor as St. Teresa’s, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1984-1990); and pastor for St. Patrick’s, Toronto (1990-1993). He continued teaching part-time (1981-1984, 1991-1994) at the Toronto School of Theology.
He was Vicar Provincial of the Toronto Province (1990-1993) and elected provincial superior (1993-1996). He was instrumental in negotiating the reuniting of the Edmonton and Toronto Provinces. At the creation of the Edmonton-Toronto Province, he was elected as its first provincial superior (1996-1999) and re-elected for a second term (1999-2002).
Fr. Corriveau was assigned to Holy Redeemer parish in Sudbury, Ontario (2003-2004) and continued to care for the League of St. Gerard. In 2004, he was assigned to his present appointment as Associate Novice Master of the North American Redemptorist Novitiate in Glenview. He retired from that position in the spring of 2010 and returned to Toronto to live at the Perpetual Help residence.
R. Corriveau SMC 1955 — The photo is from his 1955 graduation composite group photo of St. Mary’s College, Brockville.
Fr. Corriveau, 1964
Fr. Corriveau in office. He is in his office of the Toronto Provincial Superior (1993-1996) in the provincial headquarters in Toronto. Fr. Furlonger is also in the photo
Fr. Corriveau with little girl. It was taken at Fr. Tom O’Rourke’s profession, 1997. The girl is Fr. Tom’s niece
Biography and images courtesy of the Archives of Edmonton-Toronto Redemptorists*